Would You Like To Write For Us!
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Word count: No minimums but posts typically run between 250-800 words. Please stay under 800 words.
- Tone: Inclusive, accessible, and generally positive. Take a look around and see what we’ve previously posted.
- Original Content: We ask that posts submitted be unique and original to Simply Being Spiritual. We do not accept posts that have already been published or submitted elsewhere online (not even on your personal blog) or that you plan to distribute to other websites.
- We are not interested in SEO-driven submissions that are not in line with our philosophy: If you work for a content farm or are a freelancer who writes articles for the sole purpose of linking up keywords in an effort to boost SEO, we are not interested. If your submission or bio references or promotes a business or service that is not in line with our philosophy (e.g. a weight-loss gimmick), then we are not interested.
- Acceptance: Since we do not compensate contributors for posts, we’re more than happy to include a byline and your brief bio containing links to your website, Facebook, Twitter accounts, which we will promote when your post goes live. Please keep your bio to just 2-3 sentences. Simply Being Spiritual is a great resource to promote what you’re doing and some of our contributors have leveraged their posts into book deals and other awesome wellness-focused gigs and careers.
- Please send your post in the body of the message of an email. That means, if you’re using Word, for example, you’d paste the Word document into your email.
- Once your posts go live, please share with your friends via email, your website, Facebook, Twitter, and any other social media. The more people who view your post, the better is it for you and the better it is for Simply Being Spiritual. If your post performs extremely well and you become a regular contributor (one post a week), you can earn a spot as a highly-coveted “Spiritual-Holistic-Wellness Expert” on our homepage.
- We love connecting with new contributors. While we cover an insane amount of ground, Simply Being Spirituial consists of just a few people. As such, sometimes we don’t have the opportunity to respond to all submissions. We can assure you, however, that we carefully read every single submission that we receive. If your post has been accepted, we generally respond within 7 days. You’re welcome to submit again with a different post after you’ve waited 7 days.
- By submitting to Simply Being Spiritual you acknowledge that you and any form of editing that might occur on behalf of the Simply Being Spiritual editorial team.
WHY WRITE FOR SIMPLY BEING SPIRITUAL?
Here are a few reasons why you should share your ideas at the world’s most popular online wellness destination.
1. You’ll change lives.
Our community of tens of thousands is passionate about spirituality and wellness! They’re eager to learn how to live their holistic lives, share tips with friends and clients, and discuss ideas here on the site. Writing for Simply Being Spiritual gives you a chance to be part of this discussion, and to shape the way spirituality is perceived around the world.
2. You’ll reach a global audience.
Once your piece has been accepted for publication, we’ll do our part to make sure it reaches as many people as possible. In addition to posting your work on our home page, which gets thousands of visits each month, we share most posts on Facebook, Tsu, and Twitter and Spiritual Networks. Published pieces will also live in our library of Holistic content.
3. You’ll achieve your professional dreams.
Our writers have parlayed success here at Simply Being Spiritual into book deals, speaking opportunities, and teaching gigs. They’ve also attracted more clients, booked coaching jobs, and grown their brands, simply by writing great posts that got people interested in what they had to say.
4. You’ll work with top-notch editors.
Our team of professional editors will edit your piece and give it a title to help it get seen by the largest audience. They’ll also choose high-quality photos to make your work look great!
5. You’ll set your own schedule.
You can contribute posts as often as you like. Which means: no deadlines, except the ones you create for yourself!
5 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF BEFORE SUBMITTING TO SIMPLY BEING SPIRITUAL
1. Is my piece inspiring, informative, and/or educational?
Posts featured on Simply Being Spiritual are positive and informative. If your piece is snarky, or sarcastic, or not about spirituality, wellness, health or holistic living, it’s probably not for us. If you’d like to write about astrology, or news, or politics, please find the holistic slant.
2. Has this already been covered on Simply Being Spiritual?
We feature a wide range of topics on Simply Being Spiritual and we have a large library of great content. How can your piece add to what’s already there? Perhaps yours can elaborate on one aspect that didn’t get a lot of attention!
3. What’s a great title?
Remember: our readers are busy. A good title has the potential to grab their attention and make them want to read your piece. If you’re stuck trying to create one, ask yourself: What problem does my article solve? How will reading this article make someone’s life better? How would I explain this to a friend?
4. Is my first paragraph succinct?
You only get one chance to make a first impression! Does your first sentence make the reader want to continue? Does your intro paragraph tell the reader very clearly and succinctly what the article will be about?
5. Am I offering readers actionable tips?
Many readers come to Simply Being Spiritual to find solutions to spiritual and wellness issues. A great piece will provide tips that they can implement easily. Here’s an example of a tip that’s actionable: Inhale, count to ten, then exhale as you count to ten again. Notice how clear and precise that is? The reader knows exactly what to do. Here’s an example of a murkier tip: Let go. Okay, sure. But how? How does one let go? (See the difference?) Our readers love posts that provide simple steps.
7 TIPS TO WRITE A GREAT POST
Here are few pointers to keep in mind when writing for Simply-Being-Spiritual.com
1. Write in your own voice.
A great post will sound like a real person wrote it, and it will have a distinctive voice. If you’re not sure what “voice” means in this context, think about it this way: how would you explain your idea to a good friend? Use that conversational tone when you write!
2. Keep it short.
These don’t need to be long posts! Just 250-800 words (there about) is great! If you’re going to offer tips, include a short introductory paragraph at the top of your post explaining why you’re offering this advice. Are you an expert on the topic? Did you struggle to understand the topic and want to share your knowledge? For example, if you’re sending a recipe, take a few sentences to tell us why you like this dish and when you serve it.
Note: If your post cannot fit into 250-800 words bracket because its an epic, why not break it into a multi part series.
3. Have you deleted needless words?
Sometimes people use several words when just one will do the trick. We recommend taking one look at your piece to make sure you’re only including words that are absolutely necessary.
4. Use an authoritative voice.
It’s understood that Simply Being Spiritual posts are the opinion of the author. As the writer, you’re the expert on your own opinion! For this reason, you don’t need to use phrases like, “in my opinion,” or “I believe,” which detract from the idea you’re trying to convey.
5. Use plain English!
Many people who visit Simply Being Spiritual are new to yoga and wellness, so we prefer to use plain English when describing terms. For example, if you’re writing about yoga, we like to explain poses this way: Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana). This is also helpful to keep in mind if you’re writing about ancient forms of medicine (such as traditional Chinese medicine or Ayurveda) or other terms that might be new to people who are embarking on a wellness journey.
6. If it’s a recipe, include an amazing photo.
Remember: people eat with their eyes, and an enticing photo of a dish can get people excited to try your recipe. While our editors can usually provide images for pieces, they can’t always do this for recipes, which include specific combinations of ingredients. If you’re sending a recipe, it will help your piece to include a gorgeous, professional-quality photo of your creation.
7. Show us your sources!
If you mention a statistic or a study in your piece, please include a link to that source. If you’re claiming that a certain food is healthy, tell us how you know. Ideally you’d link to peer-reviewed scientific papers, academic journals, and/or credible news outlets. This way readers can follow your line of thinking and investigate further if they want to know more.
5 TIPS TO WRITE A GREAT PERSONAL ESSAY
We love personal stories, and we’re always on the lookout for great ones. We’ve noticed that really great essays share these qualities:
1. They’re focused.
Keep the spotlight on one time in your life. If you’re writing about falling in love, don’t mention all your relationships in this essay; stick to one. And keep it on the shorter side: Simply Being Spiritual essays are 800 words or fewer.
2. They include a perspective shift.
Great essays illuminate how you’ve grown in one area of your life. Usually this requires some change in how you view the world, so let us see that transformation! If you begin at Point A, your essay should wind up at Point B.
3. They don’t leave us wondering about your motivations.
Your choices are what make you interesting, so show us your choices! Let us into your thought process.
4. They’re really specific.
It’s ironic, but the more specific you are about your life, the more your story will resonate with others. It makes you seem more real! Being specific about details like who, what, and where will take your writing to another level. For example, it’s stronger to say “the first yoga class of my life, taught by Elena Brower” than “a class.”
5. They’re, well … personal.
The more honest and vulnerable you can be about your struggles and victories, the more readers will be inspired by and empathetic to your story!
SOUND GOOD? HERE’S HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR POST
Please email us the following if you’re ready to submit your post:
- Your full post with a working title.
- Please send this within the body of an email or in a word document.
- Any relevant images for your post (please send as separate files, not pasted within a doc) with links to original source if you do not own the image rights.
- Your brief bio (less than 120 words) with links to your website, Facebook, and Twitter pages. Please put any relevant links in brackets like this: [http://facebook.com/simply.being.spiritual].
- A head shot or photo of you to use for you bio.
All of the above can be sent to email@example.com.
So if your ready to add value, experience and knowledge and make a massive impact to fellow spiritual seekers, I look forward to publishing your article on Simply Being Spiritual.